Geneva County, Alabama
Genealogy, History & Facts
Geneva County, Alabama Facts
What is the County Seat of Geneva County, AL?
The County Seat is located in Geneva, (it was named for Geneva, Switzerland, by Walter H. Youge, a native of Switzerland, who served as the town’s first postmaster) and in addition the county government website is http://www.genevacounty.net/
Geneva County, AL Vital Records
Where can find Geneva County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Geneva County vital records can be found at the Alabama Department of Public Health which has Birth And Death Records from 1908, Marriages from 1936 and Divorce Records from 1950. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Alabama for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Geneva County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificates to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Geneva County Health Department has Birth Records from 1937 , Death records from 1937.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Alabama, Birth Records and Christenings, 1881-1930
- USGenweb Archives Alabama Marriage Project
- Alabama, County Marriage Records, 1809-1950
- Alabama, Death Records and Burials, 1881-1952
- Alabama, Death Records, 1908-1974
- Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957
- Alabama Marriage Records, 1800-1969 Database
- Alabama Marriage Records to 1825
- Alabama Death Records, 1908-59
Geneva County, AL Census Records
What Geneva County, AL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Geneva County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Geneva Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Geneva Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1870 and 1880. Geneva Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are Alabama State censuses from 1820-1866. Also two Alabama Census of Confederate Soldiers for 1907 and 1921. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Alabama Census Records Research Guide
Geneva County, AL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Geneva County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Geneva County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Alabama courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Alabama residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Geneva County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Alabama Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Geneva County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: P.O. Box 430, Geneva, AL 36340-0430
- Phone: (334) 684-9300
- Court Records: 1898
- Divorce Records:
- Geneva County Clerk of Probate Court
- Address: P.O. Box 430, Geneva, AL 36340-0430
- Phone: (334) 684-2276
- Marriage Records: 1898 (Marriages issued prior to 1936)
- Probate Records: 1898
- Land Records: 1868
- Alabama, Homestead and Cash Entry Patents, Pre-1908
- Index to Alabama Wills, 1808-1870
- Alabama, Convict Records, 1886-1952
- Alabama, Voter Registration Records, 1867
- BLM Land Records
Geneva County, AL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Geneva County, AL?
A list of Geneva County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Alabama Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Geneva County Historical Society, Inc., 406 South Commerce St., Geneva, AL 36340; Phone: 334-684-2100
- Southeast Alabama Genealogical and Historical Society, Box 246, Dothan, AL 36302-0246 ; 334-794-8378; Publication: Wiregrass Roots SEAGHS Magazine
- ALGENEVA A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Geneva County, Alabama. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- Geneva County USGenWeb Archives Project
- Alabama Genealogical Society, c/o Samford University Library, AGS Depository and Headquarters, 800 Lakeshore Drive, P.O. Box 2296, Birmingham, AL 35229-0001
- Alabama Department of Archives & History, 624 Washington Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama 36130-0100; Phone: (334) 242-4435
Where can I connect with other Geneva County, AL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Alabama Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Alabama State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Geneva County, Alabama Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Geneva County
- Geneva County, Alabama Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Geneva County, AL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Geneva County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.