Cleveland County, Arkansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Cleveland County, Arkansas Facts
When was Cleveland County, AR Created?
Cleveland County was established on April 17, 1873 and was originally called Dorsey County, it was formed from Bradley County, Dallas County, Jefferson County and Lincoln County .
What is the County Seat of Cleveland County, AR?
The County Seat is located in Rison (the first county seat was the residence of N.V. Barnett. In 1872 it moved to Toledo. In 1889, the seat moved to Rison) and in addition the county government website is www.arcounties.org/
Cleveland County, AR Vital Records
Where can find Cleveland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Cleveland County vital records can be found at the Arkansas Deptartment of Health has Birth & Death records since February 1, 1914, Marriage Records since January 1917 and Divorce Records since January 1923. You may go to the Cleveland County health department to obtain a Birth or Death certificates which can be issued while you wait. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Arkansas for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Cleveland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Cleveland Co. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Divorce Certificates, Death Certificates to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Arkansas Marriage Project
- Arkansas Births and Christenings, 1880-1893
- Arkansas Marriages, 1837-1944
- Arkansas Divorce Index, 1923-1939
- Arkansas, County Marriages Index, 1837-1957
- Arkansas Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages to 1850
- Arkansas Marriages, 1779-1992
- Arkansas, Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages, 1820-1949
- Arkansas Marriages, 1851-1900
- Arkansas Death Index, 1914-1950
Cleveland County, AR Census Records
What Cleveland County, AR census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Cleveland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Cleveland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1880. Cleveland Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1880. Cleveland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You’ll find free online and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Arkansas Census Records Research Guide
Cleveland County, AR Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Cleveland County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Cleveland County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Arkansas courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Arkansas residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Cleveland County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Arkansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
All County Offices Records are located in the Courthouse at #20 Magnolia Street, Rison 71665; 870-325-6214, unless otherwise noted.
- Cleveland County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: (870) 325-6902
- Court Records: 1873
- Land Records: 1836
- Cleveland County Clerk
- Phone: (870) 325-6521
- Marriage Records: 1873
- Probate Records:1873
- BLM Land Records
Cleveland County, AR Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Cleveland County, AR?
A list of Cleveland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Arkansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Cleveland County Historical Society, P. O. Box 192, Rison, AR 71665; 870-325-6623
- Arkansas History Commission, One Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201; 501.682.6900
- Arkansas Genealogical Society, 1411 Shady Grove Road, P.O. Box 908, Hot Springs, AR 71902-0908
- Arkansas Historical Association, 416 Old Main, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701; 479-575-5884
Where can I connect with other Cleveland County, AR Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Arkansas Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Arkansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cleveland County, Arkansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cleveland County
- Cleveland County, Arkansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Cleveland County, AR?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Cleveland County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is merely a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.