Madison County, Arkansas
Genealogy, History & Facts
Madison County, Arkansas Facts
When was Madison County, AR Created?
Madison County was established on September 30, 1836 and was formed from Washington County and Carroll County. Other county boundry changes occured when W boundary changed 30 November 1838, line with Carroll defined 1 January and 20 January 1843, line with Newton defined 21 December 1848, line with Carroll defined 29 December 1854 and 15 January 1857, part annexed to Carroll 8 April 1869.
Madison County, AR Vital Records
Where can find Madison County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Madison County vital records can be found at the Arkansas Deptartment of Health has Birth & Death records since February 1, 1914, Marriage Records since January 1917 and Divorce Records since January 1923. You may go to the Madison County health department to obtain a Birth or Death certificates which can be issued while you wait. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Arkansas for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Madison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Madison Co. Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, Divorce Certificates, Death Certificates to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Arkansas Marriage Project
- Arkansas Births and Christenings, 1880-1893
- Arkansas Marriages, 1837-1944
- Arkansas Divorce Index, 1923-1939
- Arkansas, County Marriages Index, 1837-1957
- Arkansas Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages to 1850
- Arkansas Marriages, 1779-1992
- Arkansas, Marriage Index, 1933-1939
- Arkansas Marriages, 1820-1949
- Arkansas Marriages, 1851-1900
- Arkansas Death Index, 1914-1950
Madison County, AR Census Records
What Madison County, AR census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Madison County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940.
Madison Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Madison Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Madison Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You’ll find free online and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Arkansas Census Records Research Guide
Madison County, AR Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Madison County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Madison County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Arkansas courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Arkansas residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Madison County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Arkansas Corthouse Records Research Guide.
All County Offices Records are located in the Courthouse at 201 West Main Street, Huntsville 72740; 479-738-6721, unless otherwise noted.
- Madison County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: (479) 738-2215
- Court Records: 1866
- Land Records: 1843
- Madison County Clerk
- Phone: (479) 738-2747
- Marriage Records: 1896
- Probate Records: 1860
- BLM Land Records
Madison County, AR Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Madison County, AR?
A list of Madison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Arkansas Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Madison County Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 427, Huntsville, AR 72740, Phone 479-738-6408
- Northwest Arkansas Genealogical Society, c/o Bentonville Public Library, 405 S. Main Street, Bentonville, AR 72712; 479-271-6820
- Arkansas History Commission, One Capitol Mall, Little Rock, AR 72201; 501.682.6900
- Arkansas Genealogical Society, 1411 Shady Grove Road, P.O. Box 908, Hot Springs, AR 71902-0908
- Arkansas Historical Association, 416 Old Main, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701; 479-575-5884
Where can I connect with other Madison County, AR Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Arkansas Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Arkansas State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Madison County, Arkansas Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Madison County
- Madison County, Arkansas Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Madison County, AR?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Madison County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is merely a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.