Alameda County, California
Genealogy, History & Facts
Alameda County, California Facts
Alameda County, CA Vital Records
Where can find Alameda County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Alameda County vital records can be found at the California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from July 1905, marriage records that occurred from 1949-1986 and 1998-1999, divorce records that occurred between 1962 and June, 1984. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Alameda County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for California Birth Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Local Registrar of Births and Death, 1000 Broadway, Suite 500, Oakland, CA 94607, Office (510) 267-8070
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives California Marriage Project
- California Birth Index 1905 to 1995 from the California Department of Public Health, Center for Health Statistics
- California Birth Index, 1905-1995
- California Marriage Records 1960 to 1985 from the California Department of Health
- California, County Marriages, 1850-1952
- California Marriages, 1850-1877
- California, Marriage Index, 1960-1985
- California Divorce Index, 1966-1984
- Western States Marriage Index, 1809-2011
- California Death Index 1940 to 1997
- California Death Index, 1940-1997
- California, World War I Death Announcements, 1918-1921
- California Biographical Collection: Responses to Vital Record Inquiries, 1822-1964
Alameda County, CA Census Records
What Alameda County, CA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Alameda County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Alameda Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Alameda Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Alameda Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another California census is the California State Census in 1852. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also California Census Records Research Guide.
Alameda County, CA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Alameda County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Alameda County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in California courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless California residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Alameda County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also California Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Alameda County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1221 Oak Street, Suite 536, Oakland, CA 94612
- Phone:(510) 272-6347
- Alameda County Recorder-Clerk
- Phone: (510) 272-6362
- Birth / Death Records: 1873 / 1859
- Marriage Records: 1853
- Land Records: 1853
- Alameda County Clerk of Superior Court
- Probate Records: 1853
- Court Records: 1853
- Early California Wills
- BLM Land Records
Alameda County, CA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Alameda County, CA?
A list of Alameda County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Californiia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Alameda County Historical Society, 672 11th Street, P.O. Box 13145, Oakland, CA 94661; (510) 238-3234
- Berkeley Historical Society, 1931 Center Street – Berkeley, CA 94704; (510) 848-0181
- California Genealogical Society, 2201 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612
- East Bay Genealogical Society Library, The EBGS Library shares space with The Society of Mayflower Descendants library at: Financial Building (basement), 14th & Franklin Streets, Oakland, CA; Phone: (510) 451-9599
- Hayward Area Historical Society, 22380 Foothill Boulevard, Hayward, CA 94541; (510) 581-0223
- Surveyors’ Historical Society, 31457 Hugh Way, Hayward, CA 94544
- Livermore- Amador Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 901, Livermore, CA 94551 USA
- Livermore Heritage Guild, 2155 3rd Street Livermore, CA 94550; (925) 449-9927
- Biography and Genealogy Resources, The Bancroft Library
- Genealogy & Family History, Alameda County Library
- Family History & Genealogy Resources, Oakland Library
- Albany Library, 1247 Marin Avenue, Albany, CA 94706; Phone: (510) 526-3720
- Castro Valley Library, 20055 Redwood Road, Castro Valley, CA 94546; Phone: (510) 670-6280
- Centerville Library, 3801 Nicolet Avenue, Fremont, CA 94536; Phone: (510) 795-2629
- Dublin Library, 200 Civic Plaza, Dublin, CA 94568; Phone: (925) 828-1315
- Fremont Main Library, 2400 Stevenson Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538; Phone: (510) 745-1400
- Irvington Library, 41825 Greenpark Drive, Fremont, CA 94538; Phone: (510) 795-2631
- Newark Library, 6300 Civic Terrace Avenue, Newark, CA 94560; Phone: (510) 795-2627
- San Lorenzo Library, 395 Paseo Grande, San Lorenzo, CA 94580; Phone: (510) 670-6283
- San Leandro Historical Commission, 300 Estudillo Avenue, San Leandro, CA 94577
- Union City Library, 34007 Alvarado-Niles Rd, Union City, CA 94587; Phone: (510) 745-1464
- California State Archives, Office of Secretary of State, 1020 O Street, Room 130, Sacramento, CA 95814
- California State Library, 914 Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA 95814
- California Historical Society, 678 Mission Street, San Francisco 94105
- California Genealogical Society And Library, 2201 Broadway, Suite LL2, Oakland 94612-3017
Where can I connect with other Alameda County, CA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- California Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- California State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Alameda County, California Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Alameda County, California Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Alameda County, CA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Alameda County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.