Hernando County, Florida
Genealogy, History & Facts
Hernando County, Florida Facts
When was Hernando County, FL Created?
Hernando County was created on February 24, 1843 from Alachua County.
Hernando County, FL Vital Records
Where can find Hernando County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hernando County vital records can be found at the Florida Office of Vital Records which has copies of Birth & Deaths reported 1917 to present and Divorce & Marriages since June 6, 1927. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Florida for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Hernando County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Florida Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Vital Records can also be found in the Hernando County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Florida Marriage Project
- Florida Marriage Collection, 1822-1875 and 1927-2001
- Florida Divorce Index, 1927-2001
- Florida Marriages, 1822-1850
- Florida Marriages, 1830-1993
- Florida Marriages, 1837-1974
- Florida Death Index, 1877-1998
- Florida Deaths and Burials, 1900-1921
- Florida Deaths, 1877-1939
Hernando County, FL Census Records
What Hernando County, FL census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Hernando County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830 (as Florida Territory), 1840 (as Florida Territory), 1850, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hernando Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hernando Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hernando Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860.
There are Florida State censuses from 1867, 1875, 1885, 1935, 1945. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Florida Census Records Research Guide
Hernando County, FL Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Hernando County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Hernando County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Florida courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Florida residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Hernando County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Florida Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Hernando County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 20 North Main Street, Room 130, Brooksville, FL 34601
- Hernando County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk
- Phone: (352) 754-4201
- Marriage Records: 1900
- Land Records: 1878
- Probate Records: 1900
- Court Records: 1877
- 1843 Voter List
- 1865 Voter List
- Florida Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Hernando County, FL Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hernando County, FL?
A list of Hernando County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Florida Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Hernando County Genealogical Society of , P. O. Box 1793, Brooksville, FL 34605-1793
- Silverthorn Genealogy Club, 4997 Championship Cup Lane, Brooksville, FL 34609
- Florida Dept of State Div of Library & Bureau of Archives & Records Management, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250
- Florida State Genealogical Society, PO Box 10249, Tallahassee, FL 32302-2249
- Florida Historical Society 1320 Highland Ave, Melbourne, FL 32935
Where can I connect with other Hernando County, FL Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Florida Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Florida State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hernando County, Florida Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Hernando County, Florida Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Hernando County, FL?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hernando County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is just a directory which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.