Decatur County, Iowa
Genealogy, History & Facts
Decatur County, Iowa Facts
When was Decatur County, IA Created?
Decatur County was established on January 13, 1846 (Organized in March 6, 1850) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of Stephen Decatur (1779–1820), a naval hero of the War of 1812
What is the County Seat of Decatur County, IA?
The County Seat is located in Leon and the county government website is http://www.decaturcountydevelopment.org/county.htm
What cities and towns are in Decatur County, IA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Davis City, Decatur City, Garden Grove, Grand River, Lamoni, Leon, Pleasanton, Van Wert, Weldon.
Decatur County, IA Vital Records
Where can find Decatur County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Decatur County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage and death records from July 1880. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Decatur County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Iowa Marriage Project
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950
- Iowa, Births and Christenings Index, 1857-1947
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 – 1900
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
- Iowa Marriages to 1850
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900
- Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
Decatur County, IA Census Records
What Decatur County, IA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Decatur County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Decatur Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Decatur Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Decatur Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Decatur County, IA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Decatur County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Decatur County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Iowa Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Decatur County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 207 N. Main St, Leon, IA 50144
- Phone: (641) 446-4331
- Decatur County Recorder’s Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder’s Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder’s Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder’s Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1874
- Land Records: 1851
- Decatur County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1871
- Court Records: 1871
- BLM Land Records
Decatur County, IA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Decatur County, IA?
A list of Decatur County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Iowa Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Decatur County Genealogical Society, Lamoni Public Library, Lamoni, IA 50140
- Decatur County Historical Society, 100 block of North Main in Leon, Iowa, 50140; (641) 446-3297
- Iowa State Archives & Records Program
- State Historical Society of Iowa, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Where can I connect with other Decatur County, IA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Iowa State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Decatur County, Iowa Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Decatur County, Iowa Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Decatur County, IA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Decatur County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.