Delaware County, Iowa
Genealogy, History & Facts
Delaware County, Iowa Facts
When was Delaware County, IA Created?
Delaware County was established on December 21, 1837 (Organized in November 19, 1841) from Unorganized Territory. The county was named in honor of the state of Delaware, home of Iowa statehood advocate U.S. Senator John M. Clayton
What cities and towns are in Delaware County, IA?
Cities and towns located in the County include Colesburg, Delaware, Delhi, Dundee, Dyersville, Earlville, Greeley, Hopkinton, Manchester, Masonville, Ryan.
Delaware County, IA Vital Records
Where can find Delaware County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Delaware County vital records can be found at the Iowa Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage and death records from July 1880. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Iowa for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Delaware County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Iowa Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Iowa Marriage Project
- Iowa, Births and Christenings, 1830-1950
- Iowa, Births and Christenings Index, 1857-1947
- Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935
- Iowa State Court System; Divorce Records 1992 to December 2008
- Iowa State Public Record Offices; Marriage Records 1834 – 1900
- Iowa, County Marriages, 1838-1934
- Iowa Marriages to 1850
- Iowa, Marriages, 1851-1900
- Iowa, Marriages, 1809-1992
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials, 1850-1990
Delaware County, IA Census Records
What Delaware County, IA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Delaware County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Delaware Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Delaware Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Delaware County, IA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Delaware County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Delaware County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Iowa Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Delaware County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 301 E Main St, Manchester, IA 52057
- Phone: (563) 927-4947
- Delaware County Recorder’s Office maintains official records of documents affecting title to real estate. Every real estate transaction that takes place begins in the Recorder’s Office. One of the major duties of the office is the management of public records. As a result, accuracy and preservation of records are a must in the Recorder’s Office. In addition to real estate transactions, the Recorder’s Office issues titles and liens; records veterans discharge papers; processes passport applications; accepts marriage applications and issues the subsequent license; issues certified copies of birth, death and marriage records as well as other numerous duties.
- Birth / Death Records: 1880
- Marriage Records: 1851
- Land Records: 1847
- Delaware County Clerk of Court manages and maintains all trial court records, including pleadings, evidence and orders. The clerks of court have hundreds of administrative duties. They accept and process fines, fees and court costs owed to the state, child support checks, and civil judgments owed to litigants. They maintain a record of liens on all real estate in the county. Clerks help with involuntary hospitalization cases. They have the authority to dispose of scheduled violations which are not contested and do not require a court hearing. Clerks are also responsible for informing state and local government agencies of court orders.
- Probate Records: 1853
- Court Records: 1857?
- BLM Land Records
Delaware County, IA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Delaware County, IA?
A list of Delaware County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Iowa Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Delaware County Genealogical Society, 304 N. Franklin, Manchester 52057-1520
- Iowa State Archives & Records Program
- State Historical Society of Iowa, Capitol Complex, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Iowa Genealogical Society, 628 E. Grand Ave., Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Where can I connect with other Delaware County, IA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Iowa State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Delaware County, Iowa Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Delaware County, Iowa Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Delaware County, IA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Delaware County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a list which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.