Knott County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Knott County, Kentucky Facts
Knott County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Knott County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Knott County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Knott County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Knott County, KY Census Records
What Knott County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Knott County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Knott Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Knott County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Knott County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Knott County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Knott County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Knott County Clerk
- Address: P.O. Box 446, Hindman, KY, 41822
- Phone: (606) 785-0996
- Marriage Records: 1884
- Land Records: 1883
- Probate Records: 1891
- Knott County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Knott County Justice Center, 100 Justice Drive, P.O. Box 1317, Hindman, KY 41822-1317
- Phone: (606) 785-5021
- Court Records: 1888
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Knott County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Knott County USGenWeb Archives Project
Knott County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Knott County, KY?
A list of Knott County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Knott County Historical & Genealogical Society, Library & Musuem, Inc., 147 Carew Drive Hindman, KY 41822-8657; (606) 785-5751; Open 24 hours, 7 days a week by appointment only.
- Knott County Historical Society
Where can I connect with other Knott County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Knott County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Knott County
- Knott County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYKNOTT. A mailing list for anyone with a historical or genealogical interest in Knott County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KY-KNOTT-COUNTY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Knott County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KY-KNOTTHISSOC. A mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding the activities of the Knott County (Kentucky) Historical Society, and genealogical resources available in the Knott County area. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who’s ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Knott County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Knott County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.