Jefferson Davis Parish, Louisiana
Genealogy & Facts
Jefferson Davis Parish, Louisiana Facts
When was Jefferson Davis Parish, LA Created?
Jefferson Davis Parish was established on June 12, 1912 from Calcasieu Parish. The parish was named in honor of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederate States of America.
What counties are adjacent to Jefferson Davis Parish, LA?
Bordering Parishes are Allen Parish, Evangeline Parish, Acadia Parish ( east), Vermilion Parish, Cameron Parish, Calcasieu Parish, Beauregard Parish.
What cities and towns are in Jefferson Davis Parish, LA?
Cities and towns located in the Parish include Elton, Fenton, Jennings, Lake Arthur, Welsh.
Jefferson Davis Parish, LA Vital Records
Where can find Jefferson Davis Parish Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jefferson Davis Parish vital records can be found at the Louisiana Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records since July 1914. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Louisiana for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jefferson Davis Parish Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Louisiana Birth or Death Certificate Application to mail.
The Louisiana State Archives has Birth Records that occurred in Louisiana more than 100 years from the end of the current calendar year. It also has Death Records that occurred in Louisiana more than 50 years from the end of the current calendar year.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Louisiana Marriage Project
- Louisiana, Births and Christenings, 1811-1830; 1854-1934
- Louisiana, Marriages, 1816-1906
- Louisiana, Parish Marriages, 1837-1957
- Louisiana Marriages, 1718-1925
- Louisiana Marriage Records, 1851-1900
- Louisiana Marriages to 1850
- Marriage contracts of French colonial Louisiana
- New Orleans, Louisiana, Marriage Records Index, 1831-1920
- Louisiana Death Records Index
- Louisiana, Deaths Index, 1850-1875, 1894-1956
- Louisiana, Statewide Death Index, 1900-1949
- Southwest Louisiana, Deaths Index, 1840-1906
Jefferson Davis Parish, LA Census Records
What Jefferson Davis Parish, LA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jefferson Davis Parish guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Davis Parish Slave Schedules can be found for 1850 & 1860. You can get free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Louisiana Census Records Research Guide
Jefferson Davis Parish, LA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jefferson Davis Parish Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jefferson Davis Parish. The years listed below are the first noted records with this parish. See Also Louisiana Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Jefferson Davis Parish Clerk of Court performs the functions of more than one office. As the Recorder, the office of the Clerk of Court receives, files, records and indexes all mortgages, conveyances and all other instruments recorded in the Public Records for the Parish. The Clerk’s Office receives and files all pleadings, such as petitions, answers, motions and other filings in Civil and Probate matters, as well as indictments, bills of information and other filings in Criminal matters. Another function of the Clerk’s Office is the issuance of Marriage Licenses and recording their returns after the marriages are performed.
- Address: 300 State Street, Room 106, Jennings, LA 70546
- Phone: (337) 824-1160
- Marriage Records: 1913
- Land Records: 1913
- Probate Records: 1913
- Court Records: 1913
- USGenWeb Archives for Jefferson Davis Parish
- BLM Land Records
Jefferson Davis Parish, LA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jefferson Davis Parish, LA?
A list of Jefferson Davis Parish Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Louisiana Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jennings Genealogical Society, 136 Greenwood Dr., Jennings, Louisiana 70546-4302
- Louisiana State Archives, 3851 Essen Lane, P.O. Box 94125
- Louisiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 82060, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70884
- Louisiana Historical Society, 5801 St. Charles Ave, New Orleans, Louisiana 70115
Where can I connect with other Jefferson Davis Parish, LA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Louisiana State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson Davis Parish, Louisiana Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Jefferson Davis Parish, Louisiana Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Jefferson Davis Parish, LA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson Davis Parish. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is merely a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.