Cheboygan County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Cheboygan County, Michigan Facts
When was Cheboygan County, MI Created?
Cheboygan County was created on April 1 1840 from Mackinac County.
Cheboygan County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Cheboygan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Cheboygan County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Cheboygan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Cheboygan County, MI Census Records
What Cheboygan County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Cheboygan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cheboygan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cheboygan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cheboygan Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Cheboygan County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Cheboygan County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Cheboygan County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Michigan courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Michigan residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Cheboygan County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Cheboygan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 870 South Main St. Cheboygan MI 49721
- Cheboygan County Clerk
- Phone: 231-627-8808
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1867
- Cheboygan County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (231) 627-8820
- Land Records: 1854
- Cheboygan County Clerk of the Probate Court
- Phone: (231) 627-8823
- Probate Records: 1854
- Cheboygan County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Phone: 231.627.8818
- Court Records: 1854
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Cheboygan County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Cheboygan County, MI?
A list of Cheboygan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Cheboygan County Historical Society of 427 Court St PO Box 5005 Cheboygan MI 49721-5005; 231-627-9597
- Cheboygan County Genealogical Society P.O. Box 51 Cheboygan 49721
- Tuscarora Historical Society P.O. Box 807 Indian River 49749
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Cheboygan County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Michigan Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cheboygan County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cheboygan County
- Cheboygan County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Cheboygan County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Cheboygan County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.