Wexford County, Michigan
Genealogy, History & Facts
Wexford County, Michigan Facts
When was Wexford County, MI Created?
Wexford County was created on April 1, 1840 from Mackinac County (originally named Kautawaubet County until March 8, 1843).
Wexford County, MI Vital Records
Where can find Wexford County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Wexford County vital records can be found at the Michigan Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records since 1867. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Michigan for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Wexford County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Michigan Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Michigan vital records from the Michigan Christian herald
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Michigan Marriage Project
- Michigan Births and Christenings, 1775-1995
- Michigan Births and Christenings Index, 1867-1911
- Michigan Births, 1867-1902
- Michigan Marriages, 1868-1925
- Michigan Marriage Records, 1867-1952
- Michigan, County Marriages, 1820-1935
- Michigan Marriages to 1850
- Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995
- Michigan Marriages, 1851-1875
- Michigan Divorce Records, 1897-1952
- Michigan Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995
- Michigan Deaths and Burials 1800-1995
- Michigan Deaths, 1971-1996
- Michigan Death Records, 1897-1920
- Michigan Death Certificates, 1921-1952
- Michigan Death Index, 1971-1996
- Michigan Deaths, 1867-1897
Wexford County, MI Census Records
What Wexford County, MI census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Wexford County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Wexford Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wexford Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Wexford Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Michigan Census Records Research Guide
Wexford County, MI Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Wexford County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Wexford County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Michigan courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Michigan residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Wexford County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Michigan Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Wexford County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 437 East Division Street, Cadillac, MI 49601
- Wexford County Clerk
- Phone: 231-779-9450
- Births & Deaths: 1867
- Marriage Records: 1864
- Wexford County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (231) 779-9455
- Land Records: 1869
- Wexford County Clerk of the Probate Court
- Phone: (231) 779-9510
- Probate Records: 1869
- Wexford County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Phone: (231) 779-9515
- Court Records: 1869
- Michigan Land Records
- Michigan Probate Records 1797-1973
- BLM Land Records
Wexford County, MI Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Wexford County, MI?
A list of Wexford County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Michigan Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Cadillac Area Genealogical Society, 8499 So. 27 1/2 Mile Rd., Cadillac 49601
- Manton Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 86, Manton 49663
- Wexford Genealogy Organization, P.O. Box 226, Cadillac MI 49601
- Wexford County Historical Society, 127 Beech Street, Cadillac, MI 49601; (231) 775-1717
- State Archives of Michigan, 702 W Kalamazoo Str, P.O. Box 30738, Lansing, MI 48909-8238; (517) 373-1408
- Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48909
- Historical Society of Michigan, 1305 Abbott Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823; (517) 324-1828
Where can I connect with other Wexford County, MI Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Michigan Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Michigan Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Wexford County Michigan Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Wexford County
- Wexford County, Michigan Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Wexford County, MI?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wexford County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is just a list that has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.