Rankin County, Mississippi
History & Facts
Rankin County, Mississippi Facts
When was Rankin County, MS Created?
Rankin County was established on February 4, 1828 from Hinds County.
Rankin County, MS Vital Records
Where can find Rankin County, MS Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Rankin County vital records can be found at the Mississippi Department of Health which has copies of birth and death records after 1912, Marriage and a Divorce records since 1926. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Mississippi for current fees and application process.
Rankin County Health Department has birth and death records from November 1, 1912. You may go to any county health department in the State of Mississippi to obtain a certificates can be issued while you wait.
You can search online for Rankin County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Mississippi Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Rankin County, MS Census Records
What Rankin County, MS census records are available?
Rankin County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Rankin Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Rankin Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rankin Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Rankin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You will discover free down loadable and printable census forms to aid with your research.
Rankin County, MS Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Rankin County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Rankin County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Mississippi courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Mississippi residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Rankin County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Mississippi Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Rankin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 301 E Government St, Brandon, MS 39042
- Rankin County Chancery Court Clerk
- Address: 211 East Government Street, Suite D, Brandon, MS 39042
- Phone: 601-825-1469
- Land Records: 1824
- Probate Records: 1828
- Divorce Records: see Clerk
- Rankin County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 215 East Government Street, Suite A, Brandon, MS 39042
- Phone: 601-825-1466
- Marriage Records: 1828
- Court Records: 1819
- Mississippi Court Records Research Guide
- Mississippi Court Records, 1799-1835
- Mississippi County Court Records
- Mississippi, State Archives, Various Records, 1820-1951
- Spanish and British Land Grants in Mississippi Territory, 1750-1784
- Land Claims in Mississippi Territory, 1789-1834
- BLM Land Records
Rankin County, MS Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Rankin County, MS?
A list of Rankin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Rankin County Historical Society, P.O. Box 841, Brandon, MS 39042
- USGenWeb Archives for Rankin County (usgwarchives.net)
- Mississippi Department of Archives and History, North Street, Jackson, MS 39201; Ph. (601) 576-6850,200
- Mississippi Historical Society, PO Box 571, Jackson, MS 39205-0571
- Mississippi Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5301, Jackson, MS 39216
- Mississippi Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Rankin County, MS Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Mississippi Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Mississippi State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Rankin County, Mississippi Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Rankin County
- Rankin County, Mississippi Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Rankin County, MS?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Rankin County. Many of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.