Thurston County, Nebraska
Thurston County was founded on March 28, 1889 from the now extinct Blackbird County and Omaha Reservation.
Townships located in the county include Anderson, Blackbird, Bryan, Dawes, Flournoy, Merry, Omaha, Pender, Perry, Thayer, Winnebago.
Thurston County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules exist for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Mortality Schedules are available for 1860, 1870 and 1880 . Industry and Agriculture Schedules exist for 1860, 1870 and 1880 . The Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free downloadable and printable census forms to help with your research.
Thurston County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Thurston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Nebraska State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ho-chunk Historical Society, RR 1 Box 21E, Winnebago, NE 68071; (402) 878-2976
- Thurston County, Nebraska Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Thurston County, Nebraska Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Thurston County (usgwarchives.net)
Thurston County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often fail to notice the great importance of Thurston County court, probate, and land records as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Nebraska courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the aspirations and frustrations of the many Nebraska citizens. The chances are excellent that your particular ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least quite a few facets of their lives in the Thurston County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
From 1857—89, Thurston was part of the Omaha Reservation.
- Thurston County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 106 5th St, Pender, NE 68047
- Phone: (402) 385-2152
- Thurston County Clerk
- Marriage Records: 1855
- Thurston County Register of Deeds
- Land Records: 1882
- Thurston Clerk of Courts
- Probate Records: 1895
- Court Records: 1886
- Nebraska Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Nebraska for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Thurston County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Thurston County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a fee. This is merely a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Thurston County genealogy or family history related sites.