Ocean County, New Jersey
Genealogy, History & Facts
Ocean County, New Jersey Facts
When was Ocean County, NJ Created?
Ocean County was established on February 15, 1850 from Monmouth County.
Ocean County, NJ Vital Records
Where can find Ocean County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Ocean County vital records can be found at the New Jersey Department of Health has copies of Birth, Marriage and Death records from 1878 to the present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New Jerseyi for current fees and application process.
You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for New Jersey Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Ocean County, NJ Census Records
What Ocean County, NJ census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Ocean County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ocean Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ocean Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ocean Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. You can get free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms that can help with your research. See Also New Jersey Census Records Research Guide
Ocean County, NJ Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Ocean County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Ocean County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New Jersey courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New Jersey residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Ocean County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New Jersey Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Ocean County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 118 Washington Street, Toms River, NJ 08754
- Ocean County Clerk
- Phone: (732) 929-2018
- Land Records: 1850
- Marriage Records: 1850
- Ocean County Surrogate Court / Orphan’s Court
- Phone: 732-929-2011
- Probate Records: 1850
- New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817
- Patents and Deeds and Other Early Records of New Jersey 1664-1703
- New Jersey, Published Archives Series, 1631-1782
- BLM Land Records
Ocean County, NJ Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Ocean County, NJ?
A list of Ocean County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New Jersey Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Ocean County Genealogical Society, 101 Washington Street, Toms River, NJ 08753
- Ocean County Historical Society, PO Box 2191, 26 Hadley Avenue, Toms River, NJ 08754; Phone (732) 341-1880
- Barnegat Light Historical Society, 5th & Central Ave., Barnegat Light
- Berkeley Township Historical Society, 630 Route 9, PO Box 303, Bayville, NJ 08721; 732-269-9527
- Lacey Township Historical Society, 126 South Main Street (Route 9), PO Box 412, Forked River, NJ 08731; 609-971-0467
- Toms River Seaport Society, 11 Hooper Ave. Toms River, NJ 08754; Phone: 732-349-9209
- Tuckerton Historical Society, 35 Leitz Blvd. & Wisteria Lane, Tuckerton 08087
- Department of State Division of Archives and Records Management ; Bureau of Archives and Records Preservation State Library Bldg, 185 West State Street, CN-307, Trenton, NJ 08625-0307
- New Jersey State Library, State Library Building, 185 West State Street, CN-520, Trenton, NJ 08625-0520
- New Jersey Historical Society, 52 Park Pl., Newark, NJ 07102; 973-596-8500 ext 248 or 249
- Genealogical Society of New Jersey, PO Box 1476, Trenton NJ 08607-1476
Where can I connect with other Ocean County, NJ Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New Jersey State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ocean County, New Jersey Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ocean County
- Ocean County, New Jersey Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Ocean County, NJ?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ocean County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.