Clinton County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Clinton County, New York Facts
When was Clinton County, NY Created?
Clinton County was created on March 7, 1788 from Washington County.
Clinton County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Clinton County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Clinton County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Clinton County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Clinton County, NY Census Records
What Clinton County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Clinton County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clinton Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clinton Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clinton Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Clinton County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Clinton County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Clinton County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Clinton County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Clinton County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Clinton County Government Center, 137 Margaret Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901
- Clinton County Clerk
- Phone: 518-565-4700
- Land Records: 1788
- Court Records: 1788
- Clinton County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: 518-565-4630
- Probate Records: 1788
- Clinton County Historian
- Phone: (518) 565-4749
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Clinton County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Clinton County, NY?
A list of Clinton County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Clinton Historical Society, One Fountain Street, PO Box 42, Clinton, NY 13323; 315-859-1392
- Northern New York American Canadian Genealogical Society, 15 Vine Street, P.O. Box 1256, Keeseville, NY 12944, Phone: 518-834-5401
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- New York Genealogy Research Community (FamilySearch on Facebook)
- Clinton County Historical Association
- Clinton Essex Franklin Library System consists of 34 public libraries in the counties of Clinton, Essex, and Franklin. Each library has access to genealogical databases – especially newspaper sites.
- Adirondack History Center Museum, 7590 Court Street, P.O. Box 428, Elizabethtown, NY 12932, Phone: 518-873-6466, Open by appointment only Cemetery index, special collection library, some census on microfilm, maps, photographs, newspaper collection, and biographies.
- Feinberg Library, SUNY Plattsburgh, 101 Broad St., Plattsburgh, NY 12901, Phone: 518-564-2000, The Special Collections room in the Feinberg library contains many letters, papers, and photographs for several families and businesses. It also includes school records and Civil War letters. Includes manuscript guides for the collections.
- Directory of Archival and Historical Document Collections (nnyln.org)
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Clinton County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clinton County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Clinton County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Clinton County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clinton County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.