Genesee County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Genesee County, New York Facts
When was Genesee County, NY Created?
Genesee County was created on March 30, 1802 from Ontario County.
Genesee County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Genesee County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Genesee County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Genesee County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Genesee County, NY Census Records
What Genesee County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Genesee County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Genesee Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Genesee Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Genesee Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Genesee County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Genesee County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Genesee County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Genesee County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Genesee County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 15 Main Street, Batavia, NY 14021-0379
- Genesee County Clerk
- Phone: 585-344-2550 ext 2243
- Land Records: 1803
- Court Records: 1803
- Genesee County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 1 West Main Street, PO Box 462, Batavia NY 14020-3199
- Phone: 585-344-2550 ext 2237
- Probate Records: 1805
- Genesee County Historian
- Address: History Department, Research Library & Records Management, Engine House, 3 West Main Street, Batavia, NY 14020
- Phone: 585-344-2550 ext 2613
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Genesee County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Genesee County, NY?
A list of Genesee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Genesee Area Genealogists, 115 State Street, Batavia 14020
- Genesee Co History Department Research Library & Records Management, 3 West Main Street, Batavia, NY 14020; (585)344-2550 ext 2613
- Genesee Area Genealogy Society, Richmond Memorial Library, 19 Ross Street, Batavia NY 14020; The Genesee Area Genealogists welcome those with an interest in Genesee and Wyoming counties.
- Holland Purchase Historical Society, Holland Land Office Museum, 131 West Main Street, Batavia NY 14020-2021; 716-343-4727; Not a research facility; contact Genesee County History department.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205; Member queries; surname research list; online resources; six meetings/year; publication: Tree Talks quarterly with annual index.
- Western New York Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 338, Hamburg, New York 14075-0338
- Brockport New York Family History Center, 4088 Lake Rd, Brockport, New York, 1-585-637-2030
- Rochester New York Family History Center, 1400 Westfall Rd, Rochester, New York 14618, 1-585-271-5040
- Buffalo New York Family History Center, 1424 Maple Rd, Williamsville, New York 14221, 1-716-688-2439
- Richmond Memorial Library, 19 Ross Street, Batavia, NY 14020, 585-343-9550; Genealogical resources: FamilySearch affiliate, Ancestry.com, and Heritage Quest Online subscriptions. Newspapers, immigrant lists, vital records, cemetery records, censuses.
- Nioga Library System, 6575 Wheeler Rd, Lockport NY 14094, 716-434-6167
- Holland Land Office Museum, 131 West Main Street, Batavia NY 14020-2021, 716-343-4727
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Genesee County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Genesee County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Genesee County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Genesee County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Genesee County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.