Livingston County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Livingston County, New York Facts
Cities to be found in Livingston County consists of Geneseo. Villages include Avon, Caledonia, Dansville, Leicester, Lima, Livonia, Mount Morris, Nunda. Towns include Avon, Caledonia, Conesus, Geneseo, Groveland, Leicester, Lima, Livonia, Mount Morris, North Dansville, Nunda, Ossian, Portage, Sparta, Springwater, West Sparta, York.
Livingston County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Livingston County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Livingston County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Livingston County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Livingston County, NY Census Records
What Livingston County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Livingston County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Livingston Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Livingston Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Livingston Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Livingston County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Livingston County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Livingston County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Livingston County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Livingston County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 6 Court St, Rm 201, Geneseo, NY 14454
- Livingston County Clerk
- Phone: (585) 243-7010 (585) 335-1712
- Land Records: 1821
- Court Records: 1821
- Livingston County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 2 Court Street, Geneseo, NY 14454
- Phone: (585) 243-7095
- Probate Records: 1821
- Livingston County Historian Has Books on local history, newspapers on microfilm (1824 – present), census and naturalization records, veteran’s files, photographs, maps, genealogy files, cemetery surveys, and various other archival materials pertaining to the history of Livingston County.
- Address: 5 Murray Hill Drive, Mt Morris 14510
- Phone: Phone: (585)243-7955 or (585) 335-1730
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Livingston County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Livingston County, NY?
A list of Livingston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Livingston-Steuben County County Genealogical Society, 3 Elizabeth St., Dansville 14437
- Livingston County Historical Society, 30 Center Street, Geneseo, New York 14454; (716) 243-9147
- Central New York Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 104, Colvin Station, Syracuse, NY 13205
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Livingston County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Livingston County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Livingston County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Livingston County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Livingston County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.