Ontario County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Ontario County, New York Facts
When was Ontario County, NY Created?
Ontario County was created on January 27, 1789 from Montgomery County.
Ontario County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Ontario County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Ontario County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ontario County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Ontario County, NY Census Records
What Ontario County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Ontario County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ontario Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ontario Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ontario Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Ontario County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Ontario County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Ontario County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Ontario County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Ontario County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 27 North Main Street, Canandaigua, New York 14424
- Ontario County Clerk Deed records–and mortgages to 1920–are at the Ontario County Department of Records, Archives, and Information Management Services, 3051 County Complex Drive, Canandaigua 14424; later deeds and all indexes are at the county clerk’s;
- Address: 20 Ontario Street, Canandaigua, NY 14424
- Phone: (585) 396-4200
- Land Records: 1789
- Court Records: 1789
- Ontario County Surrogate Court Clerk These records–and mortgages to 1920–are at the Ontario County Department of Records, Archives, and Information Management Services, 3051 County Complex Drive, Canandaigua 14424; later deeds and all indexes are at the county clerk’s;
- Phone: (585) 396-4055
- Probate Records: 1789
- Ontario County Historian
- Address: 3051 County Complex Drive, Canandaigua, NY 14424
- Phone: 716) 396-4034
- Abstracts of wills of Ontario County, New York, 1848-1849-1850 : Volume 12 (XII) (Liber D)
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Ontario County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Ontario County, NY?
A list of Ontario County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Ontario County Historical Historical Society and Museum, 55 North Main Street, Canandaigua, New York 14424; Phone: 585 394-4975
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Western New York Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 338, Hamburg, New York 14075-0338
- Pioneer Library System has names and addresses of libraries in Ontario, Livingston, Wayne, and Wyoming counties. ,
- Ontario Public Library, 1850 Ridge Road Ontario, NY 14519, phone: (315) 524-8381
- Bloomfield Public Library, 9 Church St, E Bloomfield, NY 14443, phone: 585-657-6264
- Bristol Library, 6750 County Rd 32 Canandaigua, NY 14424, phone: (585) 229-5862. Web site explains about the local history and genealogy resources with information about the Town of Bristol Historian. Requests may made to the town historian.
- Geneva Public Library, Local History and Genealogy Collection
- Ontario County Public Libraries
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Ontario County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ontario County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Ontario County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Ontario County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ontario County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.