Orange County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Orange County, New York Facts
When was Orange County, NY Created?
Orange County was created on November 01, 1683 as one of 12 original counties created in theNew York colony.
What counties are adjacent to Orange County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Dutchess County, Putnam County, Rockland County, Sullivan County, Ulster County, Westchester County, Passaic County, NJ, Sussex County, NJ, and Pike County, PA,.
Orange County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Orange County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Orange County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Orange County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Orange County, NY Census Records
What Orange County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Orange County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Orange Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orange Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orange Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Orange County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Orange County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Orange County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Orange County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Orange County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 255 Main Street, Goshen, New York 10924
- Orange County Clerk
- Phone: 843-291-2690
- Land Records: 1703
- Court Records: 1703
- Orange County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 30 Park Place Goshen, NY 10924
- Phone: (845) 291-2193
- Probate Records: 1787
- Orange County Historian
- Address: 101 Main Street, Goshen, New York 10924
- Phone: 845-291-2388
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Orange County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Orange County, NY?
A list of Orange County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Orange County Genealogical Society, 101 Main Street, Goshen, New York 10924; Publishes The Orange County Genealogy Society Quarterly
- Orange County Genealogical Society Research Room, Historic 1841 Courthouse, 101 Main St., Goshen, NY 10924; Comprehensive surname index to books and folders, local histories, published family histories, vertical files, periodicals, military records, maps, vital records, censuses, naturalizations, newspapers, deeds, mortgages, surname queries.
- Central New York Genealogical Society, P.O.Box 104, Colvin Station, Syracuse, NY 13205
- The Hudson Valley Institute, 3399 North Road, Poughkeepsie, New York 12601-1387; Phone: 845-575-3052
- Newburgh Free Library, 124 Grand Street, Newburgh, NY 12550; Subscription genealogy websites, family papers, school records, obituaries, city directories, censuses, church records, cemetery records, and newspapers.
- Goshen Library and Historical Society, Main Street, Goshen, NY 10924; Obituary Finder. Subscriptions to HeritageQuest, Ancestry Plus, Fold3 and newspaper sites. Local history information.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Orange County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Orange County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Orange County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Orange County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Orange County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.