Putnam County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Putnam County, New York Facts
When was Putnam County, NY Created?
Putnam County was created on Jume 12, 1812 from Dutchess County.
Putnam County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Putnam County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Putnam County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Putnam County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Putnam County, NY Census Records
What Putnam County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Putnam County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Putnam Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Putnam Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Putnam Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Putnam County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Putnam County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Putnam County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Putnam County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Putnam County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 40 Gleneida Avenue, Carmel, NY 10512
- Putnam County Clerk
- Address: 68 Marvin Avenue, Brewster, New York 10509
- Phone: (845) 808-1142 ex. 49236
- Land Records: 1812
- Court Records: 1812
- Putnam County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 44 Gleneida Avenue, Carmel NY 10512
- Phone: 845-208-7860
- Probate Records: 1812
- Putnam County Historian
- Address: 68 Marvin Ave, Brewster NY 10509-1515
- Phone: 845-808-1420
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Putnam County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Putnam County, NY?
A list of Putnam County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Putnam County Historical Society & Foundry Museum , 63 Chestnut Street , Cold Spring, NY 10516-2613 , Phone: 845-265-4010
- Putnam County Archives, 40 Gleneida Avenue, 3rd Floor, Carmel, New York 10512; (845) 808-1001
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Putnam County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Putnam County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Putnam County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Putnam County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Putnam County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.