Schenectady County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Schenectady County, New York Facts
When was Schenectady County, NY Created?
Schenectady County was created on 1809 from Albany County.
Schenectady County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Schenectady County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Schenectady County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Schenectady County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Schenectady County, NY Census Records
What Schenectady County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Schenectady County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Schenectady Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Schenectady Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Schenectady Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Schenectady County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Schenectady County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Schenectady County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Schenectady County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Schenectady County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 105 Jay Street, Schenectady, NY 12305
- Schenectady County Clerk
- Address: 620 State Street, Schenectady, NY 12305
- Phone: 518.388.4220
- Land Records: 1809
- Court Records: 1809
- Schenectady County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 612 State Street, Schenectady, NY 12305
- Phone: 518.285.8455
- Probate Records: 1809
- Schenectady County Historian
- Address: c/o County Manager’s Office, 620 State Street, Schenectady, NY 12305
- Phone: (518) 388-4577
- Abstracts of wills of Schenectady County, N.Y.
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Schenectady County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Schenectady County, NY?
A list of Schenectady County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Schenectady County Historical Society, 32 Washington Avenue , Schenectady, NY 12305, Phone: 518.374.0263; The Historical Society also houses and maintains the Grems- Doolittle Library and Archives, the Maybee Farm Historic Site, the Schenectady County Historical Society Museum and more.
- Capital District Genealogical Society, Empire State Plaza Station, PO Box 2175, Albany, NY 12220-0175
- Central New York Genealogical Society, Box 104, Calvin Station , Syracuse, New York 13205
- Schenectada Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution
- Grems-Doolittle Library and Archives, 32 Washington Ave., Schenectady, NY 12305; Housed at the Schenectady County Historical Society. Collection includes Almshouse records, Bibles, City Directories, County Histories, Deeds, Newspapers, Wills, and more.
- Schenectady County Public Library System, Central Library , 99 Clinton St., Schenectady, NY 12305, Phone: 588.318.4500; Includes ten branch libraries throughout Schenectady County. Also hosts Schenectady Digital History Archive and holds subscriptions to major genealogical websites.The Schenectady County Public Library is part of the Mohawk Valley Library System, a “a public library system serving 14 member libraries” in Fulton, Montgomery, Schenectady, and Schoharie Counties. Highlights from the historical and genealogical collections can also be found on The Documentarian
- Schaffer Libary, Union College, 807 Union St., Schenectady, NY, Phone: 518.388.6620; The Special Collections and The College Archives are housed on the third floor of the library. Resources include local history and manuscript collections.
- Schenectady Museum, 15 Nott Terrace Heights, Schenectady, NY 12308, Phone: 518.382.7890; In addition to housing records related to GE, the Museum’s Archives and Researchsection holds a “growing collection of materials related to Schenectady” including a large photograph collection, documents of early Schenectady businesses, and High School newspapers.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Schenectady County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Schenectady County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Schenectady County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Schenectady County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Schenectady County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Schenectady Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Schenectady Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- Schenectady Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories