Sullivan County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Sullivan County, New York Facts
When was Sullivan County, NY Created?
Sullivan County was created on March 27,1809 from Ulster County.
Sullivan County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Sullivan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Sullivan County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Sullivan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Sullivan County, NY Census Records
What Sullivan County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Sullivan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Sullivan Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sullivan Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Sullivan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Sullivan County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Sullivan County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Sullivan County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Sullivan County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Sullivan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 North Street, Monticello, New York 12701
- Sullivan County Clerk
- Phone: 845.807.0411
- Land Records: 1809
- Court Records: 1809
- Sullivan County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: 845-807-0655, ext. 0690
- Probate Records: 1811
- Sullivan County Historian
- Address: P.O. Box 185, Barryville, NY 12719
- Phone: ?
- Index of wills of Sullivan County, New York
- Index to proceedings in administration of interstates [sic] estates
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Sullivan County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Sullivan County, NY?
A list of Sullivan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Sullivan County Historical Society, 265 Main Street, P.O. Box 247, Hurleyville, NY 12747–0247, Phone: 845–434–8044; Website lists county cemeteries that they have listings for, and county histories – on a town by town basis. Genealogy Department offers searches for a fee.
- Fort Delaware – Museum of Colonial History, 6615 Route 97, North of Port Jervis, Narrowsburg, NY 12764, Phone: 845–794–3459; Offers Genealogical services
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Sullivan County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Sullivan County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Sullivan County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Sullivan County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Sullivan County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.