Adams County, North Dakota
Adams County was established on April 17, 1907 from Hettinger County. The county was named in honor of John Quincy Adams, a railroad agent and cousin of the former president who was instrumental in having the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway built through North Dakota.
The Adams County Seat is situated in Hettinger and the county government website is unknown
Adams County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Adams County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Adams County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Dakota Buttes Historical Society, c/o Ceil Anne Clement, P.O. Box 1273, Hettinger, ND 58639, 701-567-4218
- Adams County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Adams County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Adams County (usgwarchives.net)
Adams County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Adams County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Adams County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
- Adams County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 602 Adams Ave., Hettinger, ND 58639
- Phone: 701-567-2460
- Adams County Register of Deeds / Recorder
- Land Records: 1907
- Adams County Clerk of Courts
- Marriage Records: 1907
- Probate Records: 1907
- Court Records: 1907
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for North Dakota Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications. Certified copies of marriage records must be issued by the county where the license was originally filed. Copies of divorce records can only be obtained from the county clerk or recorder in the county in which the divorce filed.
Adams County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Adams County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Adams County genealogy or family history related sites.