Richland County, North Dakota
Richland County was established on January 04, 1873 (organized in 1875) from Pembina County.
The Richland County Seat is situated in Wahpeton and the county government website is unknown
Townships include Abercrombie, Antelope, Barney, Barrie, Belford, Brandenburg, Brightwood, Center, Colfax, Danton, Devillo, Dexter, Duerr, Dwight, Eagle, Elma, Fairmount, Freeman, Garborg, Grant, Greendale, Helendale, Homestead, Ibsen, LaMars, Liberty Grove, Mooreton, Moran, Nansen, Sheyenne, Summit, Viking, Walcott, Waldo, West End, Wyndmere.
Richland County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in looking into your family tree. Government Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Richland Co. Richland Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Richland Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1880. Richland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. There are free online in addition to printable census forms to assist with your research.
Richland County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Richland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Richland County Historical Society, 525 1st St. S, Wahpeton, ND 58075, 701-642-4813
- Bagg Bonanza Farm Historic Preservation Society, P. O. Box 702, Mooreton, ND 58075, 701-274-8989
- Fort Abercrombie State Historic Site, P. O. Box 148, Abercrombie, ND 58001, 701-553-8513 or 701-328-2666
- Lidgerwood Community Museum, Inc., P. O. Box 36, Lidgerwood, ND 58053-0036
- Wahpeton Parks & Recreation, P. O. Box 1325, Wahpeton, ND 58074-1325, 701-642-2811
- Wilkin-Richland Counties Genealogy Guild, 2018 320th Street, Breckenridge, MN 56520, 218-643-2532
- Richland County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Richland County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Richland County (usgwarchives.net)
Richland County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Richland County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Richland County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
- Richland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 418 2nd Ave N, Wahpeton, ND 58075
- Phone: (701) 671-1524
- Richland County Register of Deeds / Recorder
- Land Records: 1873
- Richland County Clerk of Courts
- Marriage Records: 1877
- Probate Records: 1873
- Court Records: 1873
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for North Dakota Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications. Certified copies of marriage records must be issued by the county where the license was originally filed. Copies of divorce records can only be obtained from the county clerk or recorder in the county in which the divorce filed.
Richland County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Richland County. Feel free to provide your own favorite Richland County genealogy or family history related sites.