Ward County, North Dakota
Ward County was established on April 14, 1885 from Bottineau County, the now extinct Renville and Stevens Counties.
Townships include Afton, Anna, Baden, Berthold, Brillian, Burlington, Burt, Cameron, Carbondale, Carpio, Denmark, Des Lacs, Elmdale, Eureka, Evergreen, Foxholm, Freedom, Gasman, Greely, Greenbush, Harrison, Hiddenwood, Hilton, Iota Flat, Kenmare, Kirkelie, Linton, Lund, Mandan, Margaret, Maryland, Mayland, McKinley, Nedrose, New Prairie, Newman, Orlien, Passport, Ree, Rice Lake, Rolling Green, Ruthville, Ryder, St. Marys, Sauk Prairie, Sawyer, Shealy, Spencer, Spring Lake, Sundre, Surrey, Tatman, Tolgen, Torning, Vang, Waterford, Willis.
Ward County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Ward County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- North Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ward County Historical Society, P. O. Box 994, Minot, ND 58702, 701-838-9679
- Dakota Territory Air Museum, P. O. Box 195 , 100 34th Ave. N.E., Minot, ND 58701-0195, 701-852-8500
- Lake County Historical Society, P. O. Box 83, Kenmare, ND 58746 , 701-385-4248
- Makoti Threshing Association, P. O. Box 11, Makoti, ND 58756-0011, 701-726-5698 or 701-758-2473
- Mouse River Loop Genealogy Society, P. O. Box 1391, Minot, ND 58701-1391
- Railroad Museum of Minot, P. O. Box 74 , Minot, ND 58701-0074, 701-852-7091
- Ryder Historical Society, 20510 184th St. S.W., Ryder, ND 58779, 701-758-2527
- Scandinavian Heritage Association, 1020 S. Broadway, Minot, ND 58701, 701-852-9161
- Ward County, North Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Ward County, North Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Ward County (usgwarchives.net)
Ward County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the value of Ward County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in North Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are often the aspirations and worries of countless North Dakota residents. The odds are excellent that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a detailed record of at least some elements of their lives in the Ward County court records. Even if your forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, give some thought to all of the other procedures which may have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
- Ward County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 315 3rd St SE, Minot, ND 58701
- Phone: (701) 857-6600
- Ward County Register of Deeds / Recorder
- Land Records: 1885
- Ward County Clerk of Courts
- Marriage Records: 1888
- Probate Records: 1885
- Court Records: 1885
- North Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in North Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
- Ordering Vital Records – You can also order Order Electronically Online or You can download an application for North Dakota Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications. Certified copies of marriage records must be issued by the county where the license was originally filed. Copies of divorce records can only be obtained from the county clerk or recorder in the county in which the divorce filed.
Ward County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Ward County. Feel free to provide your own favorite Ward County genealogy or family history related sites.