Harrison County, Ohio
Genealogy, History & Facts
Harrison County, Ohio Facts
When was Harrison County, OH Created?
Harrison County was created on February 1, 1813 from Jefferson County and Tuscarawas County . This county was named for General William Henry Harrison(1773–1841), an officer of the War of 1812 and future U.S. President .
Harrison County, OH Vital Records
Where can find Harrison County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Harrison County vital records can be found at the Ohio Department of Health which has Birth Records since Dec 20, 1908; Death Records since since 1954 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Ohio for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Harrison County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Ohio Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail. The Archives Division has copies of births before 1908, death before 1944 and marriage records before 1949.
Harrison County, OH Census Records
What Harrison County, OH census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Harrison County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Harrison Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harrison Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Harrison Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Ohio Census Records Research Guide
Harrison County, OH Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Harrison County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Harrison County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Ohio courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Ohio residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Harrison County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Ohio Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Harrison County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 West Market Street, Cadiz, OH 43907
- Phone: 1-614-942-8861
- Harrison County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 740-942-8868
- Marriage Records: 1813
- Probate Records: 1813
- Birth / Death Records: 1867-1908
- Harrison County Recorder
- Phone:740-942-8869 or 740-942-8523
- Land Records: 1812
- Harrison County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas
- Phone: 740-942-8863
- Court Records: 1814
- Ohio, Wills and Probate Records, 1786-1998
- BLM Land Records
- Harrison County USGenWeb Archives Project
Harrison County, OH Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Harrison County, OH?
A list of Harrison County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Ohio Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Harrison County Chapter, OGS, 45507 Unionvale Rd., Cadiz, OH 43907-9723; (740) 942-3641 ; Harrison County Chapter, OGS meets at the Historical Building, 168 E. Market St., Cadiz, OH on the fourth Monday of each month at 7:00pm (except May and December). There is a picnic in July. This OGS Chapter has local and state genealogical information in books and on microfiche to help serve genealogists interested in Harrison County.
- Harrison County Historical Society, PO Box 362, Cadiz, OH 43907-0362; Phone: (740) 942-2291; The Harrison County Historical Society provides information about Harrison County and its people.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644
Where can I connect with other Harrison County, OH Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Ohio Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Ohio State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Harrison County, Ohio Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Harrison County
- Harrison County, Ohio Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Harrison County
What other genealogical resources are available in Harrison County, OH?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Harrison County.