York County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
York County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was York County, PA Created?
York County was established on August 19, 1749, from Lancaster County.
What counties are adjacent to York County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Cumberland County, Dauphin County, Lancaster County, Harford County, Maryland, Baltimore County, Maryland, Carroll County, Maryland, Adams County.
York County, PA Vital Records
Where can find York County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
York County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for York County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
York County, PA Census Records
What York County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for York County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
York Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. York Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. York Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
York County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the York County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in York County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- York County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 45 North George Street, York, PA 17401
- Phone: (717) 771-9288
- York County Recorder of Deeds
- Address: 28 East Market Street, York, PA 17401
- Phone: (717) 771-9213
- Land Records: 1749
- York County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 717-771-9612
- Court & Divorce Records: 1749
- York County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (717) 771-9262
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1749
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- York County, Pennsylvania Wills, 1749-1819
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
York County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for York County, PA?
A list of York County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives – Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com)
- York County Archives, 150 Pleasant Acres Road, York, PA 17402; 717-840-7222
- Historical Society of York County , 250 East Market St., York, PA 17403-2090; (717) 848-1587
- York County Heritage Trust, 250 E. Market Street, York, PA 17403; 717-848-1587, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- South Central Pennsylvania Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1824, York, PA 17405-1824
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other York County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Pennsylvania Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- York County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in York County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to York County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.