Kent County, Rhode Island
Kent County was established on June 11, 1750 from part of Providence County.
The Kent County Seat is situated in West Warwick.
Kent County vital records can be found at the Rhode Island Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Rhode Island for current fees and application process. Please be advised that in most cases you will receive your records more quickly from the City and Town locations than from the State Office
You can search online for Kent County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Rhode Island Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Kent Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kent Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Kent Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You will discover free down loadable in addition to printable census forms to aid with your research.
Kent County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Kent County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Rhode Island State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Coventry Historical Society, PO Box 401, Coventry, RI 02816
- East Greenwich Historic Preservation Society, Old Kent County Jail, 110 King Street, East Greenwich, RI 02818; TEL: (401) 826-0178
- Pawtuxet Valley Preservation and Historical Society, 1679 Main Street, West Warwick, RI 02893; Phone: (401) 821-9726
- Rhode Island Mayflower Descendants, PO Box 24, East Greenwich, RI 02818
- Warwick Historical Society, 25 Roger Williams Circle , Warwick, RI 02888
- West Greenwich Historical Preservation Society, Loutitt Library, 274 Victory Highway, West Greenwich, RI 02817; TEL: (401) 397-4311
- Western Rhode Island Civic Historical Society, One Station Street , Coventry, RI 02816
- East Greenwich Free Library, 82 Pierce Street East, Greenwich, RI 02818
- Lincoln Public Library, Old River Road, Lincoln, RI 02865, Phone: (401) 333-2422
- Louttit Memorial Library, 274 Victory Highway, West Greenwich, RI 02817 Phone: (401) 397-3434
- Robert H Champlin Library, 1043 Main Street, West Warwick, RI 02893, Phone: (401) 828-3750
- Warwick Public Library, 600 Sandy Lane, Warwick, RI 02886
- Kent County, Rhode Island Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Kent County, Rhode Island Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Kent County (usgwarchives.net)
Kent County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Kent County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogy information. Hidden away in Rhode Island courthouses and archives everywhere are often the ambitions and frustrations of the many Rhode Island men and women.
The chances are very good that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Kent County court records. Even if your forebears is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Kent County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Kent County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Kent County genealogy or family history associated sites.