Newport County, Rhode Island
Newport County was established on June 22, 1703 as an Original County
The Newport County Seat is situated in Newport.
Newport County vital records can be found at the Rhode Island Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Rhode Island for current fees and application process. Please be advised that in most cases you will receive your records more quickly from the City and Town locations than from the State Office
You can search online for Newport County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Rhode Island Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Newport Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Newport Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Newport Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You will discover free down loadable in addition to printable census forms to aid with your research.
Newport County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Newport County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Rhode Island State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jamestown Historical Society, Post Offcie Box 156, Jamestown, RI, 02835; 401-423-7202
- Little Compton Historical Society, PO Box 577, Little Compton, RI 02837; (401) 635-4035
- Middletown Historical Society, PO Box 4196 Middletown, RI 02840-0496
- Newport Historical Society Headquarters & Resource Center, 82 Touro Street, Newport, RI 02840; Tel (401) 846-0813
- Portsmouth Historical Society, 870 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871; Phone:(401) 683-9178
- Preservation Society of Newport County, 424 Bellevue Avenue, Newport, RI 02840; TEL: (401) 847-1000
- Newport County, Rhode Island Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Newport County, Rhode Island Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Newport County (usgwarchives.net)
Newport County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the importance of Newport County court, probate, and land files as a resource of genealogy information. Hidden away in Rhode Island courthouses and archives everywhere are often the ambitions and frustrations of the many Rhode Island men and women.
The chances are very good that your chosen ancestors and forefathers have left a in-depth record of at least a number of elements of their lives in the Newport County court records. Even if your forebears is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods that could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Newport County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Newport County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own most popular Newport County genealogy or family history associated sites.