Charles Mix County, South Dakota
Charles Mix County was established on May 08, 1862 (organized in 1879) from Unorganized territory.
Locations adjacent to Charles Mix County are Brule County, Aurora County, Douglas County, Hutchinson County, Bon Homme County, Knox County, Nebraska, Boyd County, Nebraska, Gregory County.
Charles Mix County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Charles Mix Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Charles Mix Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Charles Mix Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help with your research.
Charles Mix County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Charles Mix County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- South Dakota State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Platte Genealogical Society, PO Box 517, Platte, SD 57369-0517
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Charles Mix County, South Dakota Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Charles Mix County (usgwarchives.net)
Charles Mix County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the benefits of Charles Mix County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in South Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of the many South Dakota residents.
The odds are very good that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Charles Mix County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Charles Mix county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for this county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth. Charles Mix was fully organized in 1862, but was dissolved in 1864 and attached to Bon Homme. It was fully reorganized in 1879.
- Haakon County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 400 Main St, Lake Andes, SD 57356
- Phone: (605) 487-7511
- Charles Mix County Register of Deeds
- Marriage Records: 1883
- Land Records: 1875?
- Charles Mix County Clerk of Court.
- Probate Records: 1875?
- Court Records: 1875?
- South Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Charles Mix County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Charles Mix County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Charles Mix County genealogy or family history associated sites.