Custer County, South Dakota
Custer County was established on January 11, 1857 (organized in 1877) from Indian lands.
Custer County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are present for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Custer Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1880. Custer Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1880. Custer Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There are free down-loadable not to mention printable census forms to help with your research.
Custer County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Custer County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Custer County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often overlook the benefits of Custer County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy details. Hidden away in South Dakota courthouses and archives just about everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of the many South Dakota residents.
The odds are very good that your potential forefathers have left a comprehensive record of at least quite a few elements of their lives in the Custer County court records. Even if your forefathers is not referred to in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
- Custer County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 420 Mt Rushmore Rd, Custer, SD 57730
- Phone: (605) 673-4816
- Custer County Register of Deeds
- Marriage Records: 1891
- Land Records: 1875?
- Custer County Clerk of Court.
- Probate Records: 1875?
- Court Records: 1875?
- South Dakota Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Dakota for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Custer County Links
The following are web links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Custer County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is simply a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to furnish your own most liked Custer County genealogy or family history associated sites.