Mason County, Washington
Mason County was founded on December 22, 1854 (orginially called Sawamish County until January 08, 1864) from King County.
Mason County vital records can be found at the Washington Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Washington for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Mason County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Washington Birth or Death Certificate and Marriage or Divorce Certificate Applications to mail.
Mason County has Federal Census Schedules to assist in researching your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules exist for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Mason Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Mason Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Mason Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You’ll find free down loadable in addition to printable census forms that can help with your research.
Mason County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Mason County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Washington State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington State Archives, Southwest Regional Branch. 1129 Washington Street SE, PO Box 40238, Olympia, WA 98504. Phone 360) 753-1684.
- Mason County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1535, Shelton, WA 98544-1535. Membership available. Newly started library of genealogical materials.
- Mason County Historical Society & Museum, PO Box 1366, Railroad Ave and 5th St, Shelton, WA 98584. Membership available. Operates the Mason County Historical Society Museum and an exhibit at the Mason County Fairgrounds. Exhibits of early county history. Collection includes files on early history, families, newspapers, census, probate and death records, and extensive photo display.
- Timberland Regional Library, 415 Airdustrial Way SW, Olympia (Thurston County), WA 98501-5799. Phone 360-943-5001
- Mason County, Washington Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Mason County, Washington Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- Washington State Digital Archives (digitalarchives.wa.gov)
- USGenWeb Archives for Mason County (usgwarchives.net)
Mason County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist often forget the benefits of Mason County court, probate, and land files as a source of genealogy information and facts. Buried away in Washington courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the desires and frustrations of countless Washington men and women.
The possibilities are great that your ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least a few factors of their lives in the Mason County court records. Even if your forebears is not discussed in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which could have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
The dates pointed out below could be the first noted records for this particular county.
- Mason County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: Courthouse Bldg. I – 411 N 5th St, Shelton WA 98584-3466
- Courthouse hours: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
- Mason County Auditor
- Birth and Death Records: 1891 to 1907
- Marriage Records: 1892
- Land Records: 1856
- Mason County Clerk
- Court Records: 1871
- Probate Records: 1889
Mason County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Mason County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is simply a directory that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own favorite Mason County genealogy or family history affiliated sites.