Jefferson County, West Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jefferson County, West Virginia Facts
When was Jefferson County, WV Created?
Jefferson County was established on January 8, 1801 from Berkeley County.
Jefferson County, WV Vital Records
Where can find Jefferson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jefferson County vital records can be found at the West Virginia Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records from January 1917 to present; marriage records from 1921 to present and divorce records from 1968 to present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jefferson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for West Virginia Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives West Virginia Marriage Project
- Vital Research Records Search Selection
- West Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1928
- West Virginia, Births, 1853-1930
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1853-1970
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths, 1853-1970
Jefferson County, WV Census Records
What Jefferson County, WV census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jefferson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jefferson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jefferson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also West Virginia Census Records Research Guide
- Search The U.S. Federal Census Collection
- Jefferson County, WV Census Records Links
- Jefferson County, WV Census QuickFacts
Jefferson County, WV Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jefferson County Courthouse?
The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also West Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Jefferson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 110 E Washington St, Charles Town, WV 25414
- Jefferson County Clerk
- Phone: (304)728-3215
- Birth / Death Records: 1853
- Marriage Records: 1801
- Land Records: 1801
- Probate Records: 1801
- Jefferson County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: 304.728.3231
- Court Records: 1801
Jefferson County, WV Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jefferson County, WV?
A list of Jefferson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide West Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Old Charles Town Library, 200 East Washington Street, Charles Town, WV 25414; Phone: (304) 725-2208
- Jefferson County Historical Society, PO Box 485, Charles Town, WV 25414
- Harpers Ferry Historical Association and Bookshop, Harpers Ferry National Historic Park, Shenandoah Street, PO Box 197, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425; Phone (304) 535-6881
- Historic Shepherdstown Commission, Historic Shepherdstown Museum, Entler Hotel, Room 200, PO Box 1786, Shepherdstown, WV 25443, Phone (304) 876-0910
- Jefferson County Black History Preservation Society, P. O. Box 569, Ranson, WV 25438
- West Virginia Archives and History, The Cultural Center; 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, E.; Charleston, WV 25305-0300
- West Virginia and Regional History Collection, West Virginia University, Colson Hall, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506; (304) 293-3536
- West Virginia Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 249, Elkview, West Virginia 25071
- West Virginia Historical Society, PO Box 5220, Charleston, WV 25361
Where can I connect with other Jefferson County, WV Researchers through message boards and forums?
- West Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jefferson County
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Jefferson County, WV?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jefferson County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.