Marshall County, West Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Marshall County, West Virginia Facts
When was Marshall County, WV Created?
Marshall County was established on March 12, 1835 from Ohio County.
What counties are adjacent to Marshall County, WV?
Bordering Counties are Ohio County, Washington County, Pennsylvania, Greene County, Pennsylvania, Wetzel County, Monroe County, Ohio, Belmont County, Ohio.
Marshall County, WV Vital Records
Where can find Marshall County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Marshall County vital records can be found at the West Virginia Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records from January 1917 to present; marriage records from 1921 to present and divorce records from 1968 to present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Marshall County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for West Virginia Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives West Virginia Marriage Project
- Vital Research Records Search Selection
- West Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1928
- West Virginia, Births, 1853-1930
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1853-1970
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths, 1853-1970
Marshall County, WV Census Records
What Marshall County, WV census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Marshall County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Marshall Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Marshall Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also West Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Marshall County, WV Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Marshall County Courthouse?
The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also West Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Marshall County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 600 7th Street, Moundsville, WV 26041
- Marshall County Clerk
- Phone: (304) 845-1220
- Birth / Death Records: 1853
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Land Records: 1835
- Probate Records: 1835
- Marshall County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: (304) 845-2130
- Court Records: 1835
Marshall County, WV Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Marshall County, WV?
A list of Marshall County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide West Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Marshall County Historical Society, 301 13th Street, P. O. Box 267, Moundsville, WV 26041
- West Virginia Archives and History, The Cultural Center; 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, E.; Charleston, WV 25305-0300
- West Virginia and Regional History Collection, West Virginia University, Colson Hall, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506; (304) 293-3536
- West Virginia Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 249, Elkview, West Virginia 25071
- West Virginia Historical Society, PO Box 5220, Charleston, WV 25361
Where can I connect with other Marshall County, WV Researchers through message boards and forums?
- West Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Marshall County, West Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Marshall County
- Marshall County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Marshall County, WV?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Marshall County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.